So for our summer 2017 trip we decided to hit up Turks and Caicos. It was amazing!
Normally we stay at all inclusive resorts and book at least 2 rooms. Its such a bummer that most places have occupancy of max 4. What about us crazy moms that have more than 2 kids? So, this time I decided to use HomeAway.com and look for a vacation rental. Turks and Caicos is an excellent destination for having a vacation rental. I chose a 2 bed/2 bath condo at The Ocean Club West.
- The location is prime. Its walking distance to the grocery store and many restaurants. We did NOT rent a car.
- The condo itself was great for us because it has SPACE! The kids loved it because they said its like having a home at the beach. I really loved this better than staying in a regular hotel/resort because you have space! Also, we are late risers, here you can make your own meals at your own time. Beats having to wake up late and eat lunch stuff for breakfast because we missed the breakfast times. So I made breakfast for the crew every morning before heading out for the day. Also I should say its really hit or miss on the comfort level of beds, etc. since the rentals are privately owned. My sister-in-law came with us and she slept on the pull-out which she said was rather uncomfortable. And I didn’t think our bed was all that comfortable either, compared to Choice hotels or Hyatts and Marriotts. Also, the other down side is the cleaning. Being that you come in from the beach every day, there’s an exorbitant amount of sand on the floors. Also you have to clean up after you cook, etc. etc. Its like being at home to an extent. I also wished that I found a condo with a balcony so Boss and I could hang out for some quiet time.
- The OCW pool was awesome. The kids favorite part of the day was going to the pool. They would much rather be there than the beach. We took our Beats by Dre speaker down and found us a nice spot, blasted some music and watched the kids jump into the pool over and over again. IT WAS AWESOME. I’m glad I took my underwater camera because I got some awesome shots of them. I’m also so extremely thankful that my kids have been in swim classes because this has made vacationing so much better! Just a few years ago, my Wild and Fire would hang on to my neck anytime they were in the water, which made my time not so relaxing! Now I can just sit back and relax and watch them go wild. There was no swim-up-bar here but the bar is right by the beach and it was great. They had good food and good drinks. We ended up eating lunch here most days.
- The OCW beach is absolutely beautiful. The sand is soft and silky, the pink umbrella’s really made for beautiful pictures, and the water was calm and warm and crystal clear. There was always umbrellas available. We never had to play “the towel game” at the beach or the pool for that matter. The kids found tiny crab and built sand castles. It was very relaxing. Of course the difference here vs. a resort is that there’s no food/drink service on the beach. But not really a big problem, I just sent Boss to the bar to get me a Mojito. It was all good!
- So as far as food goes. I made the family breakfast every morning. I am so glad that I brought one whole suitcase full of food and supplies with me because the prices at the Graceway Gourmet grocery store are EXPENSIVE! Mainly because everything is imported and the island’s soil does not allow for any crops to grow. So even fruits and veggies are expensive. I made pancakes for the kids from the mix I brought with me and made them bacon and eggs with apples that I bought from the store. I also made spaghetti and pasta salad so we can have some food for quick lunches and even dinners for the kids. Examples of what I brought with me: tuna, pasta, salad dressing, mayo/ketchup, salt/pepper/sugar/seasonings, pancake mix, snacks, granola bars, instant coffee, dish detergent, sponge, laundry pods, hand soap, toilet paper, wipes, etc.
- Crackpot Kitchen – The restaurant is super close to OCW, however, we only ate there once. The food was ok but it was just uncomfortable sitting there. There is outside seating and inside too (I think) but we were seated outside. It was HOT and the flies were relentless. The kids weren’t having it! They didn’t care for the food and it was pretty pricey.
- Turks Kebabs – We actually ate here a couple of nights and my vegetarian sister-in-law was also pleased with their falafels. The food was good and the ambiance was great too. They make their own hot sauce here and its AWESOME!
- CocoVan – This was absolutely AMAZING. Boss and I came here by ourselves and it was so dang good! Our favorite by far. We couldn’t get reservations for CocoBistro, but I’m sure that is probably just as good if this food truck was that great. There is outdoor seating here and the ambiance is very nice. A little bit of a walk from OCW, but not bad at all. Awesome date night.
- Provo Ponies – This was the highlight of Peace’s vacation. She and I went for some mommy/daughter time and I’m so glad we did. I definitely would recommend this excursion for older, patient kids. The ride down to the beach was beautiful and going into the water was an experience I’ll never forget and I’m sure my daughter will always treasure. She found it wildly hilarious when the horses began to poop in the ocean! LOL The people that care for the horses really do a lot of hard work and they love the horses! The horses seem very happy too!
- Caicos Dream Tours – Our whole family did the Dream Day Getaway package. It was a full day with snorkeling, BBQ lunch, and discovering! Everything was awesome and so were the crew onboard. Peace snorkeled for the first time and she loved it. Wild got in the water for a bit and got right back out. And little Fire didn’t attempt it. The waves were a bit rocky so it was totally understandable. However, even without snorkeling this tour is awesome because it takes you to a couple of spots where you can get out and search for sand dollars, star fish, and iguanas! My kids found a GIANT STARFISH and they were so excited! The BBQ lunch was also fantastic, the captain cooked while we explored the little island.
All in all, I would say this was one of my favorite family vacations. We all were able to relax and have a good time being together. We probably would not do a return visit, only because there’s so much more of the world to see. Stay tuned!